Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First Post

One of the big ideas that I noticed while reading the article on classroom diversity would be how I agree that as a future educator, we need to figure out ways to incorporate the working and middle-class students’ situations more into our teaching. The author of the article, Rosebery, went into a good amount of detail explaining different forms of teaching trends that were used to incorporate these ideas. One of the ideas that seemed to be helpful was when the teacher allowed for the students to bring in ideas based of their own funds of knowledge for discussion. Having the students engage the work on a more personal level to what situation they are more familiar with seemed to be something that the enjoyed and could relate to more. Vygotsky understood and preached that social and cognitive skills were needed when to have good learning happen. When a student cannot familiarize with the work that has been presented to them, it really causes gaps in learning. I feel that this article is trying to give us an idea that we need to focus on creating examples for our class that will relate to not just the middle class students, which seems to be the case that happens now. We are going to have to present ideas to students that might have disabilities, low income, different cultures, and different social backgrounds. If we do not engage different aspects of sociocultural perspectives to our learning, then we will not be a diverse teacher and will gap some students in our classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Cory makes a lot of good points about the article which we read for this blog. One of the more important points that the author made and Cory wrote about it the concept of creating examples. Asking students if they fully understand and doing frequent verbal check-ins for their understanding is very important. Many students are visual learners and using examples helps the students know what is expected of them. I personally know that this is important because I have come across assignments that I did not know how to approach and complete. I never want to leave my students with the same feeling.

    ReplyDelete