After going over the readings for this week, I was able to compare man things from them to the classroom that I work in. From the “Student Mistakes” article I was able to draw many similarities from the kindergarten classroom to the first grade classroom that I’m in. One of the first things I saw was the use of the calendar and how the students use counting techniques. One aspect of the calendar that I really like about how my CT uses it, is that she has the students tell the next numbers for the calendar and then has each number with a different color and pattern on it. The students then get to guess the pattern and need to get the correct number, pattern, and color for the number to go up. Following the calendar technique, I’ve also noticed that my first graders sometimes show signs of how the kindergartners would say “60” as a “5 and a 9” then a “5 and a 10”. When something like this does happen, usually the student picks up the mistake or has help from the other students in the classroom. Another common mistake that the article showed was students seeing numbers like 730 as 70+30+0. I have seen many mistakes like this in my class when comparing larger numbers. For some reason place value in the hundreds place is difficult for them. Place value is a very important aspect to math learning and something I feel that needs to be drilled into students at a young age so they can get a really solid grasp on it.
I took the student mistake article to be very useful. I do believe that learning from your mistakes and recognizing them is very important in math, in comparison to other other subjects as well. As Cory discussed the calender time is very cool. It gives multiple students the opportunity to answer question. I do believe that wait time is important though, keeping the class silent so that it gives the student called upon time to answer. This gives the teacher time to truly understand what the student thought process was and how to possibly correct that.
ReplyDeleteI think place value is one of the first important mathematical concepts students need to grasp. I see my students challenged with it every day. Yesterday, my CT asked the students how do you write 98, one student said" 8 and 9," so obviously it is a prevalent issue. The morning ritual highlighted in the reading is very similar to the morning routine my CT uses in class. It basically all revolves around math and I think its great. The kids love counting in front of the class and saying the date outloud. On the calendar the dates have pictures on them that follow a pattern and the kids love to guess the pattern. It is a very open environment, as they usually make mistakes. When a mistake is made the whole class works together to help the select student learn from their mistake.
ReplyDelete