When it comes to how the equal sign article relates to the activity that we did in class, I feel that it can be very confusing for children at an early grade level when it comes down to it. As we figured out from 2 weeks ago, the equal sign can cause many many confusions when looking at the way that students write it. Having students express the equals sign as "the same as" instead of "equals" causes many confusions as well. As we saw in our class it comes with a lot of debate about what and how it should be used. I feel that we need to make a standard for not only our classrooms but for how our students can best understand it. The equals sign is obviously a very basic thing that is used in mathematics everyday. I think that if we don't get a good basis down for our students at an early age of appropriate ways to use it then a lot of debate will still come about, just like in our classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment