Thursday, April 28, 2011

Week 15 blog posting

I read the Barody and Bartel article. I picked this one because I thought that the idea of connections was interesting and something worth discussing. The author makes a very clear argument in the first section of the article. He states that "Research suggests that understanding can be viewed as a connection between two pieces of information (Ginsburg 1977), and an understanding of elementary concepts is essential for mathematical power, for example, applying school mathematics to everyday tasks, inventing mathematical procedures, understanding and solving genuine problems, and comprehending more advanced mathematical ideas." This sentence totally convinced me of his idea and drew me to want to read more. The author then goes on to talk about the use of concept maps to achieve this goal. While this was something that I had never thought of before, the author makes sense. That using this model allows students to draw their own connections on the concepts of math. This will also give information to the teacher about what connections the students are making versus those that we want them to make. As well as showing students how everything that they learn builds upon itself and is all interconnected. I believe that this is an interesting way to show students a new technique and grasp their knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with what Jenna posted above. The idea of creating a concept map in math is not something that I had ever thought of before, but I can certainly see the benefits of such. We make concept maps in Literature on a regular basis, but connecting math to everyday tasks is so important for students to do. I think that in general, student's disconnect from math stems from not seeing its functionality in life. However, creating their own map of its connections can help students see maths implications. Creating an ongoing map of math concepts throughout the school year would be a great tool to bring with you to the next grade level.

    ReplyDelete