Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 12 Post

I really enjoyed reading the Whitenack and Yackel piece. I believe that it simply presented a lot of good information that could be really useful to us. In my experience it is rare for students to challenge one another by asking questions about their process, although I believe that if this were happening more it would only benefit the children more. In the scene on the second page where Casey's logic is challenged by Teri, it allows us to see the very clear distinction between people who are looking for explanation versus those who are looking for a justification. Students who are looking for an explanation do not understand the problem, while those who are searching for justification believe that they know the answer and that the one they are questioning is incorrect. This distinction is key to understanding when teaching math because it will allow you to properly answer the questions that the students are asking. The article also states that this discussion is a learning opportunity for all students because it will help them develop the ability to form mathematical arguments and will in turn advance their mathematical thinking. This is something that every educator should want for their students, and through methods such as these, I believe that it is possible.

2 comments:

  1. After reading Jenna's post, I believe that the difference between mathematical explanation and justification is different and also rare in my class. In my class I see a lot more of students looking for an explanation because they want the answer. In previous field placement at a higher grade, i feel like I have seen more justification processes for math. When it comes to teaching math, I also believe that the distinction between the two is very key. I have noticed when teachers can't justify a mathematical problem and it causes more questions for the students. Teachers need to be able to answer questions that are based on explanation and justification. When it comes to discussion learning opportunities I have not really worked with that in my classes. I feel that this technique would be very valuable though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Questioning the process inorder to understand the process is vital to comprehension. With math, it is so important for students to understand WHY they are doing what they are doing. A lot of trouble arises when students learn a procedure, but not why or when to use it. I think that explanation and justification overlap a lot in learning. Explanation is the why? and justification is the why's why? Explanation is why are we using this procedure and justification would be what does this procedure conclude? how? and why is it the right thing to do in this situation.
    I think that in teaching it would be very valuable to start and/or end a lesson with a discussion. Students can come into class with questions they developed after reflecting on the previous days lesson. Discussing at the end of class can tie up any lose ends before practicing/reflecting on new knowledge.

    ReplyDelete